The Accidental Death benefit will not be paid when death occurs which is caused directly or indirectly by one or more of the following circumstances: (Basic benefit will be paid out, subject to exclusions)
- A suicide or intentional self-injury while sane or insane;
- Misuse of medication, the abuse of drugs or intoxicants, or death resulting from having a blood alcohol level of 80 milligrams of alcohol to 100 milliliters of blood or more;
- In the act of committing or attempting to commit a criminal offense or while in prison;
- Medical or surgical treatments or complications arising from such things, except when required as a result of an injury;
- Participation as a paid professional in sports, or participation in any motorized contest of speed, nor any hazardous activities such as: scuba diving, rock climbing, boxing, sky diving/parachuting, hang-gliding, and/or bungee jumping;
- Air travel other than as a fare-paying passenger in a commercially-licensed aircraft, or;
- Declared or undeclared war, acts of war, terrorism, riot or insurrection, or death as a result of serving in the armed forces of any country, government, or international organization.
Please note that, aside from cases of fraud, if the policy is declared void the insured's beneficiary is entitled to a refund of premiums from the effective date of the policy or the date of its latest reinstatement.